I’m always up for doing a good deed for my fellow friends in Treatsland. 🙂 When these Red Velvet Oreos came out, my brain just naturally defaulted to the idea of doing some fancy chocolate covered versions of these in pretty gift boxes, but I was just kinda bored with that idea after doing so many for Christmas. Then last night I got to thinking about all the receipes out there for Oreo Rice Krispy Treats and it dawned on me – I knew what needed to be done.
I can’t help it – I have a weakness for Valentine’s Day. I’ve said before and I’ll say it many times over again – I love the day of love. All the haters that spew negativity with their whole “Valentine’s Day is just a Hallmark holiday …” and “Valentine’s Day is just a ploy for people to spend their money …” blah, blah, blah … should look at the focus of February 14th: it’s LOVE. Not chocolate. Not lingerie. Not gifts. Not even Hallmark cards. Focus on somebody you love and show them you care with a simple homemade gesture.
I’ll stop there, but I will say — I’m a sucker for all the adorableness out there in red + pink, so I just HAD to make something. So here it is, as valentine-y as it gets: Red Velvet Oreos, Rice Krispies, Marshmallows, White Chocolate drizzle and heart sprinkles. The heart-shaped cookie cutter is just a nice (and very easy) touch, but they’d be just as full of love if you went traditional and cut ’em in squares. Make some yourself!
Recipe adapted from chef-in-training.com:
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 pkg. Red Velvet Oreos, chopped (1 pkg = 20 oreos)
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- White chocolate for drizzle (optional)
- Heart sprinkles (optional)
- Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, pour measured Rice Krispie Cereal
- Chop and mash Red Velvet Oreos. You want the Oreos to be a variety of sizes from chunky to finely crushed.
Tip: Put Oreos in a large ziplock bag and crush with a mallet or wooden spoon to help keep the mess under control.
- Add Oreos to Rice Krispy cereal and stir to combine.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat butter and marshmallows together over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted
- Pour melted marshmallows over cereal and oreos. Use a spatula sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to quickly combine all the ingredients
- As soon as all the cereal is combined, spread mixture into the prepared 9×13″ dish. Use the spatula to press the mixture around the dish, and flatten as needed.
- Let sit until completely cooled.
Note: When the rice krispie treats are cooled, you can use a heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes, or cut into traditional squares. Melt white chocolate to drizzle and add sprinkles if you want for a pretty finish and let set until hardened.
(Original recipe post here)